Skip to content
Menu
  • Live at the village - Jackson Klippenstein - Buy Tickets

NDP leader supporting demand for public inquiry on wildland fire and evacuation response

Ontario’s NDP leader is ramping up First Nations’ request for a public inquiry into the Ministry of Natural Resources’ response to this year’s wildland fire season.

Marit Stiles was with First Nations leaders when they issued the call earlier this week.

Chiefs of the communities evacuated say they were forced to take action on their own in moving people and finding alternative accommodations because the MNR was slow to react or failed to acknowledge the seriousness of fires that sparked nearby.

“We need to know how this happened, and we need to know how we can make sure that the people of Ontario are never put at such risk again,” says Stiles.

“We need to hear from every one of those people. We need to hear from the frontline workers, and frankly, they are going to need some protection to be able to speak honestly about what took place there.”

Ontario’s Auditor General notes that a review of MNR wildland management policies and procedures was already in progress.

There is no word on when that report will be issued.

Stiles says while that report will provide some very important information, an inquiry brings full transparency and accountability from the government.

“A public inquiry would allow MPPs, members of the public to hear directly from the people that were involved and to actually compel people to testify,” says Stiles.

“It would require actual ministers, even the Premier himself, would have to answer direct questions, and that is really significant.”

Stiles also supports calls for the resignation of cabinet ministers directly connected to the wildland fire and emergency response.

This includes Emergency Preparedness Minister Jill Dunlop and Greg Rickford, Minister of Indigenous Affairs and First Nations Economic Reconciliation.

“I was shocked, frankly, and very disappointed when I met with chiefs, First Nations leadership and heard that they are not receiving any communication or outreach from Minister Rickford,” says Stiles.

“Minister Dunlop and Minister Rickford are not up to the job.” (Natural Resources) Minister Harris (Mike Harris) is going to have to answer for failures in his own ministry.”

Acadia News has reached out to Rickford for comment.

  • Randy Thoms is a veteran news broadcaster with over 40 years' experience. He is based in Fort Frances and covers stories across northwestern Ontario. Contact Randy at thoms.randy@radioabl.ca.

    View all posts

Do you have a news tip?

Submit to ONNews@radioabl.ca.

loader-image
Kenora, CA
1:09 am, Aug 20, 2026
weather icon 18°C
L: 18° H: 18°

What’s Trending